The developer documentation contains instructions for how to contribute to Astropy or affiliated packages, install and test the development version, as well as coding, documentation, and testing guidelines.
For the guiding vision of this process and the project as a whole, see Vision for a Common Astronomy Python Package.
- How to make a code contribution
- Python virtual environments
- Try the development version
- Coding Guidelines
- Writing Documentation
- Astropy Narrative Style Guide: A Writing Resource for Contributors
- Testing Guidelines
- Astropy Testing Tools
- Writing Command-Line Scripts
- Building Astropy and its Subpackages
- C or Cython Extensions
- Release procedure for the astropy core package
- Workflow for Maintainers
- How to create and maintain a Python package using the Astropy template
There are some additional tools, mostly of use for maintainers, in the astropy/astropy-tools repository.